Ronald McDonald House Houston’s leaders recognized the urgent need to increase capacity and also to address resident families’ complex needs. As a result, the Board approved a phased expansion and renovation of our existing freestanding 50-bedroom Holcombe House.
- Increase capacity by 40% by adding 20 new bedrooms in an adjacent two-story structure
More than half of the total project cost ($20 million) will go towards improving the existing infrastructure.
- Renovate all existing 50 bedrooms to meet ADA requirements for families with mobility issues
- Upgrade infrastructure to reduce utility costs by approximately 30% annually and to increase the overall efficiency by updating the HVAC, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and window glass.
- Redesigning family intake and resident services space with more private areas for residents to register for a room and receive assistance on sensitive and confidential needs.
- Expand the kitchen and common areas with commercial-grade materials and more durable equipment that can withstand continual use by families and meal volunteers
- Upgrade existing technology with state-of-the-art equipment and software to ensure our families can maintain work relationships, research medical treatment options, and keep in touch with family and friends back home.
Click any of the photos below to enlarge