Ronald McDonald House Houston
|Our 50-bedroom Holcombe House is located at 1907 Holcombe Boulevard in the Texas Medical Center. We provide housing for families and children who are being treated at one of the Texas Medical Center member hospitals.|
Holcombe House Amenities Include:
- Two Queen Size Beds and One Full Bath in Each Guest Room
- Linens and Towels Provided
- 24-Hour Staffing
- Gated Parking
- Scheduled Van Service to the Texas Medical Center Hospitals
- Scheduled Mon. – Fri. Van Service to Grocery/Shopping Plaza
- Library and Family Computer Station
- Free Laundry Facilities
- Houston Independent School District School Room for Patients
- Summer Camp for Patients and Siblings
- Children's Play Areas and Game Room
- Fully-Stocked Community Kitchens
- Activities and Meals are Provided Frequently
- Families are requested to pay $25.00 per night. We accept Medicaid
Please call 713.795.3500 and we will be happy to provide additional information. Our phones are answered by volunteers from 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Admissions and Eligibility Guidelines
- Immediate family members of all children, age twenty-one (21) or younger who are hospitalized and/or receiving treatment for cancer or other serious illnesses at a Texas Medical Center member institution. Each family is allowed one room with a maximum of four guests (including patient) to stay at the Ronald Mc Donald House at any one time. There are no income or mileage restrictions for admittance to RMH.
- Age Requirements: When parents are under twenty-one (21), the following guidelines apply:
If the parent of the patient is under the age of 21, he/she must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 21.
The Director of Operations may use his/her discretion in regard to compliance with the above criteria.
First time families must be referred by a Health Care Provider or State Social Worker. A valid ID and permanent address is required for check-in.
- Families are requested to pay $25.00 per night. If Medicaid approves payment for lodging, an authorization for the specific days covered must be received by FAX prior to admission.
- A family may be admitted to the House for a maximum of forty-five (45) days. After 45 days the family must check out for a period of seven (7) days and then may be eligible for re-admission. Families may be eligible for an extension at the discretion of the Director of Operations.
Holcombe House Guidelines
- Alcohol: Alcoholic Beverages are permitted only at in-house activities sponsored by Ronald McDonald House Houston.
- Smoking: Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the House or in the front of the House. A designated smoking area is located in the backyard gazebo area.
- Behavior: Absolutely no illegal substances, smoking, weapons, inappropriate behavior or foul language are allowed at RMH Houston. Guests not adhering to these guidelines will be asked to leave.
- Children: All children must be supervised at all times. Staff and volunteers are not responsible for the supervision of children. Parents are responsible for cleaning up after their children at all times, whether in public or private areas of the House. Children with colds or other infections must wear a surgical mask or stay in their room.
- Visitors: In order to provide a safe and secure environment for our families, staff and volunteers visitors are welcome in the common guest areas of the House only. The common guest areas include the first floor of the House as well as the backyard and gazebo area.
- Visitors are required to sign in and out at all times and wear an ID badge.
- Visitors are welcome from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Visitors are not permitted in guest rooms except in the following situations:
- A visiting nurse or home health provider
- Extended family members with consent of the Director of Operations
- Only medications which are prescribed by a licensed physician or that are available over the counter are permitted in the House.
- Medications are not permitted in the refrigerators or the kitchen cabinets. Small room refrigerators may be checked out for medications that require refrigeration.
- Dress Code:
- Shirts and footwear must be worn in all public areas of the House.
- Families are reminded that this is a shared "home away from home" and attire can be casual but should be appropriate at all times. In public areas of the House, articles of clothing such as pajamas and robes are inappropriate attire.
- Hours of Operation : Phones are answered by volunteers from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Messages left after hours will be returned the following day.
- Cleaning: Each family is responsible for cleaning their own room. Cleaning supplies and vacuums are supplied by RMH Houston. Each family is also assigned a specific chore in the public areas. Chores are assigned by room number and generally two or three rooms share one chore.
- Infection Control: Contagious illnesses can easily pass from person to person in a community House such as RMH Houston. Sick children or family members must not be in the playroom or common areas of the House and are required to wear a surgical mask.
- Media: Any publicity involving RMH Houston should be cleared through the management of the House.